Name: Sherryl Jordan
Date of birth: 8 June 1949
Place of birth: Hawera, New Zealand
Now living in: Tauranga
- What is your favourite food?
- Stir-fried vegetables and coconut ice-cream - not together!!
- Do you have a nickname and if so what is it?
- Shez - my younger sister could not say my name correctly when she was little; she called me Shez, and the name stuck.
- What was your most embarrassing moment?
- Giving a public speech at a time of family crisis. I was very stressed at the time, and suddenly, in the middle of my talk, couldn’t remember what I was saying, what I was talking about or even where I was! Very unprofessional!
- How do you relax?
- Music. Walking. Tai chi.
- Who inspired you when you were little?
- George McDonald’s books - especially The Princess and the Goblin.
- What were you like at school?
- A nerd, I think! Too serious about studying.
- What was your favourite/most hated subject at school?
- Favourite: History (especially Medieval)
Hated: Maths. Still do!
- What was the book you most loved as a child?
- As above - The Princess and the Goblin, by George McDonald. (I hadn’t discovered C.S. Lewis then.)
- Which person from the past would you most like to meet?
- C.S. Lewis
- Who is your favourite author/children’s author?
- C.S. Lewis
- Why did you want to be a writer?
- Can’t remember why; wanted to be an author since I was four.
- Do you have a special place where you write your books?
- Yes - a glorious room upstairs, which I call Paradise.
- What’s the best thing and worst thing about being a writer?
- Best: Flying in creative energy.
Worst: Getting books rejected by publishers (I've got 14 unpublished novels!)
- If you weren’t a writer, what would you like to be?
- What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
- Never give up! And write with joy.
This interview is from 2002.