Name: Shirley Corlett
Date of birth: 20 July 1940
Place of birth: Wellington
Now living in: Masterton
- What is your favourite food?
- Macaroni cheese. Salads. Vegetables. Fruit. Chips.
- Do you have a nickname and if so what is it?
- I do not have a nickname. Most people call me Shirl.
- What was your most embarrassing moment?
- Falling flat on my face in front of a crowd of people (mostly strangers).
- How do you relax?
- Read. Entertain (Belong to an entertainment group - singing, mime etc). Play tennis.
- Who inspired you when you were little?
- My mother.
- What were you like at school?
- Ordinary. Average in class. Loved sport.
- What was your favourite/most hated subject at school?
- Favourite: Writing stories and English
Most Hated: Maths
- What was the book you most loved as a child?
- Coral Island by R. M. Ballantyne. All of Enid Blyton’s Famous Fives.
- Which person from the past would you most like to meet?
- My Aunt Joyce who died on her wedding day (also her 21st birthday) two years before I was born. My second name is Joyce.
- Who is your favourite author/children’s author?
- Have no favourites. Read all types of different books - enjoy lots and lots of authors - especially New Zealand authors.
- Why did you want to be a writer?
- Born with it in my heart.
- Do you have a special place where you write your books?
- Yes. A special room built at the back of the section.
- What’s the best thing and worst thing about being a writer?
- Best thing: never ever bored.
Worst thing: first time putting words from head onto paper.
- If you weren’t a writer, what would you like to be?
- A teacher
- What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
- Never give up. Read, read, read.
This interview is from 2002.