Date of birth: 10 February 1958
Place of birth: London, England
Now living in: Whangaparoa (just north of Auckland)
- What is your favourite food?
- How do you relax?
- Surf, windsurf.
- Who inspired you when you were little?
- People who could read and write. Some teachers.
- What were you like at school?
- Thick – I could not read or write until I was 12.
- What was your favourite/most hated subject at school?
- Most hated: Maths – still can’t do maths.
- What was the book you most loved as a child?
- The Eagle of the Ninth by Rosemary Sutcliff.
- Which person from the past would you most like to meet?
- Who is your favourite author/children’s author?
- All sorts.
- Why did you want to be a writer?
- Thought it would be fun.
- Do you have a special place where you write your books?
- No – the second to last book, Jenna’s wave I wrote on the Waiheke ferry!
- What’s the best thing and worst thing about being a writer?
- Best: creating a special world.
Worst: having to write things down.
- If you weren’t a writer, what would you like to be?
- A chef.
- What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
- Think big. Never be put off. Think original. Ask questions of publishers.
This interview is from 2002.