Name: Tim Tipene
Date of birth: 12 June 1972
Place of birth: Henderson
Now living in: Waitakere, Auckland
- What is your favourite food?
- Healthy, natural food, and lots of it.
- Do you have a nickname and if so what is it?
- Papa Tim.
- What was your most embarrassing moment?
- Missing a plane and being so upset about it that I made a scene.
- How do you relax?
- Walk. Play with my cat and dog. Do nothing.
- Who inspired you when you were little?
- Some wonderful, kind Teachers.
Some Uncles and Aunties.
- What were you like at school?
- I found school hard. Got into trouble sometimes.
- What was your favourite/most hated subject at school?
- Favourite Subjects: Writing & Art.
Hated Subjects: Maths.
- What was the book you most loved as a child?
- Where The Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak, and Revolting Rhymes by Roald Dahl.
- Which person from the past would you most like to meet?
- Mohandas K. Gandhi (Mahatma Gandhi.)
- Who is your favourite author/children’s author?
- Favourite author: Eiji Yoshikawa.
Favourite children’s author: Roald Dahl.
- Why did you want to be a writer?
- There have always been things I've wanted to say and writing was one thing I did well at school.
- Do you have a special place where you write your books?
- At home, looking into the bush and out to sea.
- What’s the best thing and worst thing about being a writer?
- Best thing: People enjoying my books and seeing my books in bookstores.
Worst thing: Can be frustrating when people can’t find your books in stores.
- If you weren’t a writer, what would you like to be?
- A Warrior Kids facilitator. (Which I am.)
- What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
- Never give up, even though your work will be rejected sometimes. Don’t take it personally, if you keep working at it, you’ll get there.
This interview is from 2002.