Name: Trevor Wilson
Date of birth: 23 December 1926
Place of birth: Roxburgh
Now living in: Rotorua
- What is your favourite food?
- Baked potato
- Do you have a nickname and if so what is it?
- What was your most embarrassing moment?
- Spilling cream down the front of my shirt at a teenage party.
- How do you relax?
- Gardening, playing bowls, fishing, running, crossword puzzles, reading.
- Who inspired you when you were little?
- My school teachers.
- What were you like at school?
- Reasonably good.
- What was your favourite/most hated subject at school?
- Favourites: writing stories, reading, sports.
Least liked: music.
- What was the book you most loved as a child?
- Bevis: the story of a boy by Richard Jefferies.
- Which person from the past would you most like to meet?
- My great, great grandfather.
- Who is your favourite author/children’s author?
- Adult author: Cecilia Holland
Children’s author: Roald Dahl
- Why did you want to be a writer?
- I have never wanted to be a writer. It has just happened.
- Do you have a special place where you write your books?
- For many years I wrote at the kitchen table from 5 am – 7 am. Now I have a small office but still write from 5 am – 7 am.
- What’s the best thing and worst thing about being a writer?
- Best: having one’s latest story accepted.
Worst: being rejected again… and again.
- If you weren’t a writer, what would you like to be?
- A painter.
- What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
- Keep trying and write every day. Don’t wait for inspiration.
This interview is from 2002.