You have rights. As well as being entitled to fair treatment and a good quality education, in New Zealand you earn more rights as you get older - the right to drive, to enlist in the armed services, to marry, to vote and to drive.
Bullying just isn't on - check our page for some places to get help.
Human rights and freedoms
Human rights are the basic rights and freedoms we are all entitled to, no matter what our age, ethnicity, culture, religion or sex. Information from NZ Government.
Your civil and political rights. Information from Citizens Advice Bureau.
Employment rights and responsibilities
Essential information about the workplace. Information from Employment New Zealand.
Personal and legal rights
- Alcohol and drugs limits
- The facts for the under 20s from the Official New Zealand Road Code
- Attending a court or tribunal
- All about New Zealand's justice and court system.
- Citizens Advice Bureau
- A one-stop-shop on just about every legal and consumer question you may have.
- Community Law Canterbury Te Ture Whanui o Waitaha
- Free legal help - Community Law Canterbury offers a general legal advice service.
- Connect Safely
- Forum for teens who want to socialise safely in online and mobile networking sites. Tips and tutorials, videos. A project of the not for profit Tech Parenting Group
- Drink Spiking
- Read this article on how to keep yourself safe.
- Feminist Majority Foundation
- Concerned about your role as a woman in this world? This site is awesome covering heaps of stuff from personal rights to breast cancer awareness to helping afghan women and loads more (also comes with a ton of great links)
- Get NetWise
- Keep yourself and your infomration safe, stop spam, be aware of risks. Video tutorials. A project of the Internet Education Foundation.
- Government Tenacy Information
- Tenancy services. Everything you need to know about flatting.
- Health and Disability Commission
- To promote and protect the rights of health and disability consumers
- Human Rights Commission
- Provides a summary of the human rights legislation in New Zealand, human rights training, speeches and addresses, and reports and submissions. Includes information on discrimination based on disability, sexual orientation, HIV/AIDS, age, employment, accommodation, education, provision of goods and services plus sexual harassment and special education.
- Information for young people and parents about internet safety on social networking sites as well as regular web sites. Student Voices information for teens and how to deal with cyber bullying.
- Mental Health Foundation of NZ
- User-friendly information on a variety of mental health conditions such as schizophrenia, depression, phobias and autism
- Netsafe / The Internet Safety Group
- Keep yourself safe with these easy to follow guidelines (includes updates on particular nasties)
- NetSmartz Teens
- These videos are especially for teens who want help with social networking sites. Also information on cyber bullying and making safer online choices.
- Police and the individual
- Know your rights when dealing with the Police. From the Citizens Advice Bureau.
- Rape Prevention Education (RPE)
- In-depth NZ site with detailed information, help & advice. Includes directory of local organisations: Canterbury.
- The Office of the Privacy Commissioner
- The Privacy Commissioner's Office works to develop and promote a culture in which personal information is protected and respected. Learn how to keep your personal information safe. How to complain, privacy rights, privacy online.
- Youth Court of New Zealand
- We've all heard about it but now you can find out just exactly what and who's involved, when the hearings are, the outcome, where to next, etc. There's also a special section for young people with a brilliant Process Flowchart.
- Youth Law
- Free, confidential legal advice on any issue - use info in the site or call the helpline.