Explore resources, organisations, books, events, and activities with a focus on mental health.
Mental Health Awareness Week (MHAW)
Mental Health Awareness Week (MHAW) is run by the Mental Health Foundation and has been an annual event since 1993. It is endorsed by the World Federation for Mental Health and is marked in over 150 countries. Mental Health Awareness Week is on from Monday 21 to Sunday 27 September 2020 and the theme is:
Reimagine wellbeing together - He tirohanga anamata.
Reading in Mind Book Scheme for mental health and wellbeing
The Reading in Mind Book Scheme for mental health and wellbeing offers the community an additional resource for managing and treating mild to moderate mental health issues through providing recommended books on a range of mental health issues like anxiety, depression, post-traumatic stress disorder and worry.
Reading in Mind was developed through a collaboration between Pegasus Health, Christchurch City Libraries, and the Mental Health Education Resource Centre, and HealthInfo Canterbury/Waitaha. Find out more about Reading in Mind.
Reading in Mind books and resources
The topics below list recommended books and other resources (eBooks, DVDs, CDs). You can get these books and resources from your local library or from the Mental Health Education and Resource Centre (MHERC). Your family and friends can also use the scheme:
Mental health organisations and websites
- CINCH Community Information Christchurch listing of mental health related organisations.
- Mental health and illness Community and Public Health Te Mana Ora. Population health services and information about mental health and wellbeing.
- Mental health Ministry of Health Manatū Hauora. Information and resources on how to cope with mental illness.
- Mental health services Ministry of Health Manatū Hauora. Find out what to do in an emergency and other support including phone and online services and information.
- All Right? supports people to become more aware of their mental heath and wellbeing, and to take small and regular steps to improve it.
- Mental Health Foundation of New Zealand is a charity that works towards creating a society free from discrimination, where all people enjoy positive mental health and wellbeing.
- Depression and Anxiety is part of a national public health programme, the National Depression Initiative. It is a component of the New Zealand government’s approach to suicide prevention
- The Lowdown is a website to help young New Zealanders recognise and understand depression or anxiety.
- Mental Health Education Resource Centre in Christchurch provides information, a free public library, as well as professional development and community education about mental health, wellbeing, mental illness, and addiction.
- Like minds, like mine is a public awareness programme to increase social inclusion and end discrimination towards people with experience of mental illness or distress.