Name: Diana Margaret Menefy
Date of birth: 6 June 1947
Place of birth: Christchurch
Now living in: Tapuhi Valley, Hukerenui, Northland
- What is your favourite food?
- Homemade icecream (double chocolate with big lumps of dark chocolate).
- Do you have a nickname and if so what is it?
- What was your most embarrassing moment?
- Losing my cool at a meeting.
- How do you relax?
- Who inspired you when you were little?
- Jo, from Little Women by Louisa M Alcott.
- What were you like at school?
- Quiet, and good at sports.
- What was your favourite/most hated subject at school?
- My favourite subject was English.
My most hated was French.
- What was the book you most loved as a child?
- Freckles, by Gene Stratton Porter.
- Which person from the past would you most like to meet?
- My old English teacher from Form 4-6 — Mr Richards.
- Who is your favourite author/children’s author?
- My favourite author is Rosamunde Pilcher.
My favourite children’s author is Sherryl Jordanopens a new window.
- Why did you want to be a writer?
- I don’t know. I just always have. Maybe part of it is the thrill you get when you weave a story together and it works — makes someone laugh, cry or just feel good.
- Do you have a special place where you write your books?
- I have an office on a mezzanine floor with big glass windows that give me a view across the paddocks to the hills.
- What’s the best thing and worst thing about being a writer?
- The best thing about being a writer is ‘the writing’.
The worst thing is having to promote yourself.
- If you weren’t a writer, what would you like to be?
- A photographer.
- What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
- Never give up. Keep on reading and trying to improve your skills. Write every day.
This interview is from 2002.