Name: Julia Owen
Date of birth: 24 December 1960
Place of birth: Auckland
Now living in: Weka Weka Valley, South Hokianga
- What is your favourite food?
- Do you have a nickname and if so what is it?
- Not really though some people call me 'Jules'.
- What was your most embarrassing moment?
- When I saw an old friend outside The Warehouse and flung open my arms for a hug and knocked over a large stack of pottery planters.
- How do you relax?
- Fishing, gardening and reading.
- Who inspired you when you were little?
- My grandmother.
- What were you like at school?
- A fidget. On one of my school reports it says - "Julia has ants in her pants".
- What was your favourite/most hated subject at school?
- Favourite: English
- What was the book you most loved as a child?
The Swiss Family Robinson by J.D. Wyss
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
- Which person from the past would you most like to meet?
- C.S. Lewis
- Who is your favourite author/children’s author?
- Joy Cowley and Margaret Mahyopens a new window.
- Why did you want to be a writer?
- I can make things up and get paid for it. (Though not very well)
- Do you have a special place where you write your books?
- Yes! A small room in our old cottage full of spiders.
- What’s the best thing and worst thing about being a writer?
- The best thing is to be able to use your imagination.
The worst thing is that it is a job you do on your own.
- If you weren’t a writer, what would you like to be?
- A chef or a musician.
- What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
- Do lots of reading and never stop writing.
This interview is from 2002.