Name: Patricia Grace
Date of birth: 17 August 1937
Place of birth: Wellington
Now living in: Plimmerton
- What is your favourite food?
- Do you have a nickname and if so what is it?
- I do not have a nickname but I am known by either Patricia or Pat.
- What was your most embarrassing moment?
- I felt embarrassed once when I went into the men’s toilet instead of the women’s toilet.
- How do you relax?
- Fishing, reading, walking.
- Who inspired you when you were little?
- My parents, aunties, uncles, teachers
- What were you like at school?
- I liked learning and was very active in playground games and sports. Rather quiet in the classroom.
- What was your favourite/most hated subject at school?
- I liked Mathematics and English.
I didn’t like sewing.
- What was the book you most loved as a child?
- The Adventures of Pinocchioopens a new window, by Carlo Collodi - an English translation from the original Italian.
- Which person from the past would you most like to meet?
- My ancestress Metapere Waipunahau.
- Who is your favourite author/children’s author?
- Children’s author: Miriam Smithopens a new window.
- Why did you want to be a writer?
- I've had a lifelong interest in the written word - firstly as a reader, then as a writer as well.
- Do you have a special place where you write your books?
- I have a room where I write, but I don’t confine myself to the room. I can write almost anywhere.
- What’s the best thing and worst thing about being a writer?
- I like coming to the end of the first draft and then perfecting the work.
The worst thing is muscular strain and injury from repetitive work.
- If you weren’t a writer, what would you like to be?
- A saxophone player.
- What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
- Write, write, write - and read, read, read.
This interview is from 2002.