Resources to help you find out about art and art history.
- Find titles about art history in the library catalogue
- Find titles about art in the library catalogue
- Oxford Art Online
- Oxford Art Online - the innovative gateway into art research and the access point for Oxford art reference subscriptions and publications. Includes the Grove Dictionary of Art, The Oxford Companion to Western Art, Encyclopedia of Aesthetics, The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Art Terms. Was Grove Dictionary of Art.
Access this with your library card number and password / PIN, or at our libraries.
- Art and Artists
- A guide to researching art and artists from Christchurch City Libraries.
Art and Art History web resources
- Adobe Kuler: Color Wheel
- Enter a colour value or just click the colour that you want and this handy tool will suggest attractive combinations with that colour. Useful when designing web pages or colour schemes for design projects.
- Art Crimes: The Writing on the Wall
- From the Bronx Museum of the Arts and Art Crimes,a large archive of graffiti art from around the world.
- Art History Resources on the web
- Comprehensive starting point for art history. Links to pages that cover prehistoric to the present day art history of all cultures.
- Art Links
- A wide variety of art related links from Christchurch City Libraries
- Art Movements Directory
- Quick reference guide to various art movements and periods throughout history. Includes images, brief biographies, and additional resources.
- Artists on Screen
- Interviews with and documentaries on New Zealand artists from NZOnScreen.
- Christchurch Art Gallery
- Bunker Notes about works held in the Christchurch Art Gallery and other art news.
- Exploring Leonardo da Vinci
- Explore the works and imagination of Leonardo da Vinci. Images, interactive activities and facts you may not have known.
- History of New Zealand painting
- From NZHistory, including sections on modernism, abstraction, expressionism and contemporary Māori art.
- The photography blog of The New York Times, presenting the finest and most interesting visual and multimedia reporting, photographs, videos and slide shows. A showcase for Times photographers, it highlights the best work of other newspapers, magazines and news and picture agencies; in print, in books, in galleries, in museums and on the Web.
- Māori Art
- Māori images available for down-loading. Includes line-art and photographs of objects
- Zeroland Arts Online
- This directory provides links to web pages providing information on artists, galleries, architecture, museums and much more.
- Picturing America
- These 40 examples of American Art have been chosen to be brought into American schools and libraries. Pieces range from oil paintings to architecture and each is complemented by additional resources.
- Smarthistory at Khan Academy
- Smarthistory at Khan Academy is a free multi-media web-book designed as a dynamic enhancement (or even substitute) for the traditional art history textbook. Videos, images and more.
- Timeline of Art History
- Presents artefacts held in the Metropolitan Museum of Art's collection. Search the Timeline of Art History by date, maps or a thematic index.