Wā Kōrero programmes include stories, music, movement and rhymes for children aged 2 and over. Meet others in our community when you and your pre-schooler join us for a fun variety of stories, songs and rhymes which foster children’s literacy. All whānau and caregivers welcome. Free, no bookings required.
Kōrero pukapuka, pūoru, korikori.
If you want to do Wā Kōrero at home, watch our online storytimes.
Wā Pēpi: Babytimes is for babies and under-2s.
Some sessions are only on during term-time, but others take place in the holidays. Check our events calendar for details.
- Fendalton Library Tuesday 10.30am (starts 9 February) and Bedtime Stories on the first Friday of the month
- Te Hāpua: Halswell Centre Thursday 11am (starts 11 February)
- Hornby Library Wednesday 10.15am (starts 10 February)
- Linwood Library Thursday 10am (starts 4 February)
- Lyttelton Library Tuesday 11am (starts 9 February)
- Matuku Takotako: Sumner Centre (starts 10 February) Wednesday 10.30am (plus occasional Super Saturday Storytimes at 2pm)
- New Brighton Library Monday 2pm (starts 15 February)
- Ōrauwhata: Bishopdale Library and Community Centre Wednesday 10.30am (starts 10 February)
- Papanui Library Thursday 11am (starts 11 February)
- Redwood Library Friday 10.30am (starts 12 February)
- Shirley Library Tuesday 10.30am
- South Library Thursday 11am
- Spreydon Library Friday 10.30am (starts 12 February)
- Storytimes at Barrington Mall 2nd Monday of the month 10.30am to 11.30am
Tūranga Wednesday 10.30am
- Regular Ngā Pakiwaitara: Bilingual Storytimes (in English and te reo Māori) take place at Tūranga every Tuesday, 10.30am.
- Faitauga Tusi: Samoan Storytimes are on the last Saturday of the month at Tūranga, 10.30am.
- Bilingual English and Mandarin storytimes are on at Tūranga on the third Saturday of the month at 11am.
- Tūranga librarians will do a Storytimes at the monthly Art Safari at Christchurch Art Gallery Te Puna o Waiwhetū on the first Thursday of the month, 10.30am.
- Upper Riccarton Library Monday 10am (starts 15 February)
More for preschoolers
- Find more about our Preschoolers' events and programmes.
- Discover music sessions for preschoolers as listed on CINCH.
Children's Holocaust Memorial: Everyone Counts storytime
Faitauga Tusi - Samoan Storytimes in Samoan and English, with Tiresa from Tūranga
Learn the Samoan alphabet and sing a favourite song!
Digital Storytimes - Wā Kōrero
Digital Storytimes - Wā Kōrero with Bronwen from Matuku Takotako: Sumner Centre: Super Felix
Bronwen is reading Super Felix - written, illustrated and published by Phoebe Morris
Amy is reading Hello World, written and illustrated by Paul Beavis. Published by Gecko Press.
Emily is reading Mrs Mo’s Monster, written and illustrated by Paul Beavis. Published by Gecko Press.