Wā Kōrero: Storytimes
Wā Kōrero programmes include stories, music, movement and rhymes for children aged 2 and over. Wā Pēpi and Wā Kōrero sessions in libraries are back.
Kōrero pukapuka, pūoru, korikori.
Wā Pēpi: Babytimes is for babies and under-2s.
Wā Kōrero: Storytimes
Some sessions are only on during term-time, but others take place in the holidays. Check our events calendar for details.
- Fendalton Library Tuesday 10.30am and Bedtime Stories on the first Friday of the month
- The Library at Te Hāpua: Halswell Centre Thursday 11am
- Hornby Library Wednesday 10.15am [Cancelled until June]
- Linwood Library Thursday 10am
- Lyttelton Library Tuesday 11am
- Matuku Takotako: Sumner Centre Wednesday 10.30am
- New Brighton Library Tuesday 9.30am
- Ōrauwhata: Bishopdale Library and Community Centre Wednesday 10.30am
- Papanui Library Thursday 11am
- Parklands Library Thursday 10.30am
- Redwood Library Friday 10.30am, plus monthly Everyday Heroes Storytimes 10.30am to 11am, Fridays at Redwood Library
- Shirley Library Tuesday 10.30am
- South Library Tuesday 11am
- Spreydon Library Friday 10.30am
- Storytimes at Barrington Mall 2nd Monday of the month 10.30am to 11.30am
- Tūranga Wednesday 10.30am
- Regular Ngā Pakiwaitara: Bilingual Storytimes (in English and te reo Māori) take place at Tūranga every Tuesday, 10.30am.
- Faitauga Tusi: Samoan Storytimes are on the last Saturday of the month at Tūranga, 10.30am.
- Bilingual English and Mandarin Storytimes are on at Tūranga on the second Saturday of the month at 11am.
- Tūranga librarians will do a Storytimes at the monthly Art Safari at Christchurch Art Gallery Te Puna o Waiwhetū on the first Thursday of the month, 10.30am.
- Upper Riccarton Library Monday 10am
More for preschoolers
- Find more about our Preschoolers' events and programmes.
- Discover music sessions for preschoolers as listed on CINCH.
DIY Wā Kōrero: Storytimes
Use library resources to make a storytime at your place!
Wā Kōrero: Online Storytimes
Listen in! Librarians and authors want to tell you a story.
Mrs McGinty and the Bizarre Plant, written and read by Gavin Bishop
Hear Gavin Bishop read his legendary Christchurch book Mrs McGinty and the Bizarre Plant in the Edmonds Factory Gardens.
Mrs McGinty and the Bizarre Plant, written and illustrated by Gavin Bishop. Published by Oxford University Press, New Zealand 1981. Reprinted as a NZ Classic by Random House NZ Ltd 2007.
Everyone Counts by Kathryn Otoshi, read by Elisabeth
Elisabeth reads One by Kathryn Otoshi, a story with a focus on anti-bullying and being an Upstander, with an introduction by the author.
Faitauga Tusi: Samoan Storytimes in Samoan and English, with Tiresa
Learn the Samoan alphabet and sing a favourite song!
Hello World by Paul Beavis, read by Amy
Amy is reading Hello World, written and illustrated by Paul Beavis. Published by Gecko Press.
Mrs Mo's Monster by Paul Beavis, read by Emily
Emily is reading Mrs Mo’s Monster, written and illustrated by Paul Beavis. Published by Gecko Press.
Niue Language Week story and song with Malo
Super Felix by Phoebe Morris, read by Bronwen
Bronwen is reading Super Felix - written, illustrated and published by Phoebe Morris
Story Box Library
Story Box Library is the best place to watch celebrated stories read aloud by our favourite storytellers. A fantastic literary resource for pre-school through to upper primary-aged children, a range of actors, sportspeople, authors, illustrators and more share their unique voices in an ever-growing library. It's Storytime, anytime!
Enjoy crafts with your tamariki.