Situated beside the Heathcote River, on the corner of Colombo Street and Hunter Terrace, the South Library provides facilities for residents to study, meet friends and chat over coffee, take time out to sit and read, access information, learn technology skills, hold meetings, conduct Council business and for families to share learning and recreation experiences.
New South Library and Service Centre
We're engaging with the community as we draw up plans for rebuilding the quake-damaged South Library and customer services building, Te Kete Wānanga o Wai Mōkihi, in Beckenham. Ignite Architects will develop the concept design for a rebuild of the earthquake-damaged building. Ignite will lead a multi-disciplinary team of specialists who'll work together to create a design for a new build on the existing site. The rebuilt facility will provide library, customer services, café and governance spaces and will be a similar size to the existing building. It's important to have the community involved every step of the way. Councillors will consider the concept design in the first half of 2023 before deciding how the project will progress. Find out more.
- The number 1 bus route stops nearby. See the Metroinfo timetables for more information.
- Metrocard top-up service is available at the CCC service desk Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm, and from library staff at other times during library opening hours.
- Off street parking and bicycle stands are available.
Services and facilities
- Services available at all Christchurch City Libraries
- Toilets inside library, including disabled access
- AED (Automated External Defibrillator)
- A fully equipped Parents’ Room: child’s size toilet and basin, adult basin, pull down nappy changer, microwave, adult chair / feeding chair
- Book a librarian one on one sessions
- Bookable spaces
- Wā Pēpi / Babytimes and Wā Kōrero / Storytimes
- South Library events
Computers and technology
- Auahatanga - Creative Spaces including laser cutting; vinyl printing; 3D printing; sewing, overlocker, and embroidery machines; vacuum former; heat press; badge maker; DTG Direct to Garment Printing, and craft cutter.
- 14 public computers with free internet access (13 available for 60 minute sessions, 1 available for 15 minute sessions)
- 2 children’s computers
- 1 family history computer
- South Learning Centre has computer lab with 16 computers that can be booked for sessions by community groups
- Free wireless internet access
- Printing and photocopying
- Scan to email or USB
Beckenham Service Centre
Christchurch City Council service desk hours Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm
Vily's Café opened on Monday 9 January 2023. When creating his menu, Vilem kept food waste minimisation principles in mind – everything is made in-house and sourced from local suppliers like Bohemian Bakery, Frank's Café, and Café Berlin.
Monday to Friday: 9am - 4pm
Saturday, Sunday: 10am - 4pm
phone: 03 332 8200
- Fiction and nonfiction
- Children’s and young adults’ material
- World languages including children's material
- Children’s Stories to Go
- Ngā Pounamu Māori
Te Kete Wānanga o Wai Mōkihi
More information about the South Library building
South Library received a supreme award for architecture at the 2004 NZIA awards. This was one of only five supreme awards given. In addition to the supreme award the building was also a winner in the "community and cultural" and the "colour" sections.