E tipu e rea mō ngā rā o tō ao
Ko to ringaringa ki ngā rākau a te Pākehā
Hei oranga mō tō tinana
Ko tō ngākau ki ngā tāonga a ō tipuna Māori
Hei tikitiki mō tō māhuna
Ko tō wairua ki tō atua
Nānā nei ngā mea katoa
(Tā Apirana Ngata)
Tēnā koutou katoa. E ngā mana, e ngā waka, e ngā hau e whā e te iwi whānui tēnā koutou. He mihi whānui atu tēnei na Ngā Kete Wananga o Ōtautahi tēnā koutou. Nau mai, haere mai ki tēnei wāhi, he ara ki ngā rauemi me ngā ratonga Māori. Tēnā tātou katoa.
Matariki - the Māori New Year
Find out what is happening in June 2016 for Matariki.
Te Reo Māori - Māori Language
- Mihimihi and Te Reo Māori resources
- Te Reo Māori resources
- Te Reo Māori courses
- A Beginner’s Kete
- Te Reo Māori - Māori Language Ara Ipurangi mō te Iwi Māori / Internet Gateway
- Te Wiki o te reo Māori / Māori Language Week
- Te Whata Raki
Rerehua / Taoka Pūoro - Arts and Music
Explore our section on Māori arts and music. It includes resources on weaving and fibre arts including guides on how to make putiputi (flowers) and whetu (stars).
Tāhuhu Kōrero - History
Our Tāhuhu Kōrero - History section has information on Māori local history, Treaty of Waitangi, Māori place names, and historical events like Parihaka.
Tī Kōuka Whenua explores Māori local history: stories of Christchurch and Banks Peninsula told with audio interviews and pictures.
Discover all the cool Māori resources we have for tamariki (children). Get crafty, read and learn te reo Māori, and explore.
Te Ao Tūturu - The natural world
- Tī Kōuka — the cabbage tree
- Te rongoa Māori
- Te Ao Tūturu - The natural world Ara Ipurangi mō te Iwi Māori / Internet Gateway
Tiriti o Waitangi - Treaty of Waitangi
- Treaty of Waitangi
- Waitangi Day in Christchurch and Canterbury 2016
- Tiriti o Waitangi - Treaty of Waitangi Ara Ipurangi mō te Iwi Māori / Internet Gateway
Tōrakapū / Kāwanataka - Politics and Government
- Koroneihana and Kingitanga
- Koroneihana and Kīngitanga booklist
- Tōrakapū / Kāwanataka - Politics and Government Ara Ipurangi mō te Iwi Māori / Internet Gateway
Ngā Tangata/Porihanga - People/Society
- Photos A sample of Māori images from our photograph collection.
- Sir Tipene O'Regan
- Tangata Rongonui (Historical Characters)
- Ngā Tangata/Porihanga - People/Society Ara Ipurangi mō te Iwi Māori / Internet Gateway
Whakapapa - Genealogy
Te Reo Māori booklists
- Māori non-fiction
- Pikihuia Awards for Māori writers
- Te Reo Māori books by Māori authors (for ages 10-13)
- Favourite picture books in Te Reo Māori from 2012
- South Island Māori myths and legends
At the library
Te Reo Māori self checkout July 2014. Flickr: 2014-07-10-IMG_0669
Ngā Pounamu Māori
Find out about our Māori collections.
The signage that we use in our libraries - with sound files so that you can hear the pronunciation
The stories of our libraries’ Māori names.
Māori Land Court Minute Books Index (MLCMBI)
The Māori Land Court Minute Books contain judges’ notes on court sittings from 1865 to 1910.
- Te Ara Tika 2012 to 2014
- Te Ara Hou – The New Pathway 2008 – 2010
- Ngā Tapuwae Hou / New Footsteps (to 2007)
A set of Te Ao Māori images on Flickr