Record Store Day is on Saturday 18 April 2015. For New Zealand events and releases, check out Dubdotdash's listing of Record Store Day events.
In Ōtautahi, Galaxy Records has Bad Evil live instore ("middayish"), and rare and collectable vinyl from the vaults. Pennylane Records will be celebrating over the weekend too, Lyttelton's Delaney Davidson will sign copies of his limited edition vinyl release Diamond Dozen at the Sydenham store, 11am.
For interesting New Zealand perspectives, read:
- Record Store Day gets its groove back by Vicki Anderson (The Press' music wunderwoman)
- What does Record Store Day mean to you? by music blogger and reviewer Simon Sweetman
- Vinyl makes a comeback in New Zealand by Charlie Gates
I am partial to record store (and music label) related reading, here are some goodies:
- High fidelity, opens a new window (Nick Hornby book, and movie starring John Cusack)
- Stuart McLean's Vinyl Cafe books, opens a new window
- Old rare new : the independent record shop , opens a new window- a homage to the independent record shop, with interviews of a variety of music types like Everett True, Devendra Banhart and James Lavelle having their say on the joys of discovery.
- Books on the sound recording industry (including record labels)
The Library caters for music lovers well, we send you off to the record store better informed and give you the chance to try before you buy. See our Music section, opens a new window for more information - and don't forget next month is New Zealand Music Month, opens a new window (Martin Phillipps at Central Library Peterborough? Oh yes please).