Located on Tuakiri | Identity, Level 2, Tūranga, Te Pito Huarewa / Southbase Gallery houses exhibitions that reflect the cultural identity and history of Christchurch and Canterbury.
Extraordinary: From the collections of Alexander Turnbull Library, 9 November 2019 - 9 February 2020
To celebrate the centenary of New Zealand’s most extraordinary library, Extraordinary exhibition offers a glimpse into Alexander Turnbull Library’s collection. Displayed are taonga with a meaningful and tangible connection to Ōtautahi, its history and people.
Included in the eclectic mix are significant artworks by Rita Angus, Leo Bensemann, Ngaio Marsh's production script for A Midsummer Night's Dream, a 2.3m long early panoramic photograph of High Street, one of the earliest maps of the South Island, photos by Steffano Webb and John Pascoe, and a recipe on how to make a homebrewed beer from 1880s.
- Read exhibition curator Masha's post: Ordinary treasures, Extraordinary exhibition
- View photos from the exhibition installation
- Illuminate: Unearthing treasures from our collection (3 August - 27 October)
- Va Oceans Between (18 May – 21 July)
- Kā Huru Manu (26 January - 28 April 2019)
- Our Painted Stories (Friday 12 October 2018 to Thursday 17 January 2019)